Thursday, August 20, 2015

Just Wanted To Say

This card started out well, became a real puzzle midway through, and then wound up teaching me a few things . . .



The hang-up was with the background:  I had it placed so that the lighter part was at the top and the darker at the bottom.  It didn't work and sat on my worktable for 5 days until it occurred to me to switch the orientation.  Such a little change and yet it made all the difference.

As for the herringbone pattern, that technique was a wonderful discovery I first saw on Splitcoast Stampers.  The original demo artist used Distress inks for this technique, but artist Dina Kowal used Gelatos instead.  I decided to do the same:  I scribbled with the Gelatos on the back of my stencil, misted with water, and laid down my watercolor cardstock on top.  Rather than blot up the excess, I heat-dried in order to preserve the lovely variations in color.  So simple, and so beautiful!

Cardstock:   Bazzill Raven, Neenah Solar White, Strathmore #90
                           watercolor paper
Stamps:        Stampin’ Up In the Wild set: Giraffe
Inks:               Encore Gold, Distress Black Soot, ColorBox Frost White
Emb Powder:   Stampendous Ivory Pearl, Bear Rubber Thick Gold,
                                Cloisonné Smoky Obsidian
Dies:              Spellbinders Diamond Effects, Simon Says Stamp Sketchy
                            Banner Greetings: “Just wanted to say”
Watercolors:   Gelatos Black, Gold
Stencil:          The Crafters Workshop Mini Herringbone
Doo Dads:    Zutter Distrezz-it-All, Stampin’ Around Gold Dust glitter,
                        Tulip nail heads Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment