Monday, August 20, 2012

To Comfort You

When I first started stamping, I decided that I wouldn’t make Sympathy cards.  It just seemed sort of a borderline-showy thing to do at a time when all of the emphasis should be on the bereaved.  But I came to change my mind . . .



 . . . it happened when a member of my church died – a gentleman who was dearly loved by all of us.

I found that making a card was the most natural thing for me to be doing:  there was nothing I could do to change the unhappy circumstances, but what I could do was show his wife how much I cared by putting my heart and my hands to this creative task.  Her reaction revealed that I had made the right decision and it turned out to be good for both of us.  

My policy is to never sign the back of my Sympathy cards and I keep the design quite simple.  When the losses are closer and more personal, it’s always a little surprising to realize how much I am comforted in the doing of this.

Cardstock:         Bazzill Leapfrog, Pear; Beckett Candlelight, Generic Dull Gold
Stamps:              Stampin’ Up sentiment
Inks:                    ColorBox Black, Encore Honeydew, Pilot Gold Marker
Emb Powder:     B’Muse Ebony
Emb Folder:       Crafts-Too Leafy Tree
Punches:            Family Treasures Scalloped Ovals, Fiskars Interlaced Corner Adorner
             


No comments:

Post a Comment